Wednesday, June 29, 2005

No really, what's a "snufkin?"


This is a snufkin, or rather, this is Snufkin. He's a character in a series of Finnish children's books written by Tove Jansson, one of which I read as a small child and have loved ever since.
I actually dressed up as Little My for Halloween that year and strangely nobody knew what I was supposed to be. I didn't know that the Moomin Family series had been out of print in the U.S. for years. I figured everybody knew who "Little My" was.
Wikipedia defines Snufkin as "Moomintroll's best friend, who goes south every winter and returns in the spring. He is the son of the Mymble and the Joxter, and is half-brother to the Mymble's daughter and Little My. Snufkin is an adventurer and a vagabond, admired by those who are small and shy. Snufkin wears old clothes and lives in a tent. He plays the harmonica." For more information about Snufkin, I refer you to the excerpt from Moominsummer Madness at Snufkin the Bestest .

1 Comments:

Blogger Da said...

Here I am, the proud, proud father of a snufkin and I had to read her blog to know what that was. I'm so ashamed. Proud, but ashamed.

:)

7/01/2005 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home